Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chinese conversations

So, this morning I had more than a 20 minute conversation (in Chinese) with the Ayi (cleaning lady) in the gym that I go to!! We have a routine developing where she comes and talks to me while I'm on the tread mill, and I do my best to understand her and respond correctly in Chinese.  She is very patient with me, sometimes repeating the same thing 6 or 8 times and in different ways before I start to catch on.  Anyways, there is a lot of laughter involved as well :)  To day I was reading my "good book" when she came up to me and she started asking me about it...which lead to a good conversation and I believe more to come.

Often when I'm in a taxi I try to take advantage of the chance to practice my Chinese and so this is a sample of a common conversations that I've had before...

me: Ni hao! (hello) Shifu, ni shi wuxi ren ma? (driver, are you from Wuxi?)

driver: bu shi, wo shi Anhui ren (no, I'm from Anhui province)

me: a haode. Wo chu guo Anhui. Hen piaoliang!  Ni de Chun jie zenme yang? (oh I've been there before! It's beautiful! How was your New Year Holiday?)

driver: ma hao, ma hao (it was alright)

driver: ni shi na guo ren? (where are you from?)

me: Wo cong meiguo lai. (I'm from America)

driver: ni de zhongwen bu cuo. (your chinese is not bad)

me: xiexie ni.  (thank you)

driver: Wo you yi ge nanhar. Ta zai daxue xue yingyu.  (I have a son who is studying English at the university)

me: ahh...cu (ok, cool)

driver: ni jiehun le ma? (are you married?)

me: (laughing to my self) mei you (no, I'm not)

driver: ni ji sui? (how old are you?)

me: wo ar shi qi sui. (I'm 27)

The driver is quiet... apparently I'm too old for his son :-P

me: wo tai lao (I am too old)

driver: bu shi. ni neng geng meiguoren jie hun (no, you can marry an American)

me: ahh...ke yi.  (laughing....ok)

Good times :)






1 comment:

  1. this made me smile, even though you had already told me about it =)

    ReplyDelete